Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes!

I have been meaning to get more posts up here regarding all of the fabulous food Mitch and I have been making directly from the garden. We are so localvoring it - pick and then plan the meal - it's so fun! For instance last night I had some big mushrooms in the fridge almost ready to go bad. So, I took the stems out and chopped 'em up. Then I picked some carrots, tomatoes, peppers, rosemary, thyme, parsley, chives, leeks and chopped them up. I did some veggie sauteing, binded them all together with some flour, cooking wine, and water, and topped it off with some mozzarella, Parmesan, and bread crumbs and stuffed those mushrooms right up. I also stuffed a few peppers as well. Then I baked 'em and have leftovers today for a lunch meeting with an old friend. How fab is that???

Today I wanted to share with my favorite Vermont Vibers about the fun of Fried Green Tomatoes. I actually didn't ever see that movie until a little over a year ago - sometimes I am not sure where I have been. It is a most excellent movie and I think I actually blogged about it last year as the best movie to watch after creating a spa night for oneself.

As I watched my garden grow this summer, I found while I was waiting for the veggies to show up (now I am swimming in them), there were an awful lot of green tomatoes and hot damn - what would I do with them all once they ripened? So, I looked to my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook I bought for my mom as a birthday gift when I was in the fourth grade and then stole when I left for college (although now is when it's really started to get a workout). Sure enough there was a recipe and with some tweaking - I offer you:

Farmhouse Friend Green Tomatoes:

~ Pick green tomatoes off vine
~ Cut into four slices
~ Place four bowls on counter and fill:
Bowl 1:
milk
Bowl 2:
Flour, salt, pepper, and garden herbs (I use parsley and thyme)
Bowl 3:
Beaten eggs
Bowl 4:
Bread crumbs
~ Dip tomatoes in each mixture in order above
~ Place tomatoes in heated veggie oil in frying pan
~ Fry 3-5 minutes per side, depending on heat level of oil

Fried Green Tomatoes are the one fried food approved by Vermont Vibes - and while it's traditionally a southern thang, I think they should be the official fried food of the Green Mountains! They're green and Vermonters grow lots of tomatoes!

2 comments:

Chris & Sarah said...

I love this post! And thank you so much for including the recipe. I am so impressed with all the gardening, especially after Mitch's post on being a first-time gardener. I've gotten pretty excited over arugula, thyme, and dill. My broccoli rabe was planted too late and bloomed into yellow flowers. The most amazing thing in our backyard is the corn, sweet as candy and perfectly yellow. Keith, the farmer, let's us pick as much as we want and it's such a treat.

Anonymous said...

I am totally gonna try this