Friday, July 31, 2009

The Mitch's Fishing Tips

Hey all! As I wake up on yet another rainy summer day, I am reminded once again that I have not been able to enjoy one of my favorite things in life as much as I want to......fishing! And, I have the day off and Rachel is too busy being busy to notice I am busy writing on her blog. I have had a couple of chances to go this season and have had some great outings. Most of my fishing has taken place this spring and early summer as the clear sky and cool temps allowed for some amazing small mouth and trout fishing. I don't know how many of you out there are into fishing, but I thought I would share some helpful ideas and tips that might improve your wet late summer fishing! Here are some of the things that help me have a fun and peaceful experience.........

1. We live in Vermont. Lots of great places to go. Open your atlas and search for an interesting river system that feeds into a pond or lake. These types of places are great for small mouth bass fishing and allow for a day full of bushwhacking and adventure. This may not be the ideal situation for those who are looking to hang out on the shore with a beverage and play the waiting game for their fishies!!

2. For those who are interested in relaxing while fishing, I highly suggest looking into hanging out at a State Park which has beach and trail access. This will allow for a relaxing time with the fam or yourself while you kick back and just see what happens. This is the perfect time to use live bait (night crawlers, shiners, and various types of grubs).

3. If walking or sitting is not your bag, try canoe or kayak fishing. This is the best way to access key areas on a lake or pond and will give you the best chance at finding some tasty dinner! Look for over hanging trees, rocks, logs, or any type of cover near the shore line. Our friends with gills love to camp out under or next to these types of cover.

4. No matter where you go, always bring a selection of gear. Try to bring a variety of tackle, proper clothing (depending on location), food and water, sunscreen, bug spray, a container to keep fish in if you are keeping your catch (be sure to keep them cold), if you are not keeping them but want to have evidence of the "big one" bring a camera. REMINDER - If you are taking your catch, please be sure to examine the health and size of your catch. If it seems small, put it back and let it grow, we do have a responsibility to keep the population growing!!

5. A very important thing to remember is when using live bait, especially shiners or minnows, is to NEVER ok to dump left over bait into Vermont's water systems. These bait fish are not native species and have the potential to invade ecosystems and disrupt natural fish populations and feeding habits. PLEASE TAKE THIS TIP SERIOUSLY!!!!!

6. Last of all, no matter where you go, or who you go with, have fun! I have to admit I get a little frustrated when I am out all day and nothing happens, but I have to remember what I am doing......fishing! We live in one the greatest places in the country for outdoor and natural recreation, so even if it is a tough day, just be thankful that we are blessed with such bountiful opportunities!! I hope everyone has the best of late summer experiences! Peace, The Mitch!

PS - Best Tip for Having Someone Paddle You Around - make it seem like a romantic canoe trip and get your honey to chauffeur you around the lake - heeheeheeheehee.


Oh, and click HERE to get your fishing license online!

No comments: