Friday, August 28, 2009

The Long Awaited Emerald Lake State Park Post!

This is how summer in Vermont for folks like myself and The Mitch rolls:

We love Vermont. We love Vibing in Vermont. We love the seasons of Vermont. But, this summer had the stupidest weather I have ever seen and every single vacation we planned was afflicted by it. By this point in the summer, I am over it and in fact today am wearing a snowflake shirt. In the middle of the summer I was bitter and mad and had a few temper tantrums over the fact that the weather rained on my parade every single time I planned for something outside. But at the beginning of the summer (even though the rain had already been ridiculously intense), I was optimistic and cheerful that I can have fun in any situation....

The Mitch and I aim to take a vacation to a Vermont lake every summer of our lives. One day that will involve renting a cottage for a week or two, but until the perpetual recession Gen Xers like us live in ends, it involves camping for a few days. This year we did decide to make it an actual vacation and planned for a five day camping trip to Emerald Lake State Park down in Southern Vermont near Manchester over the Fourth of July holiday. We chose Emerald Lake so we could enjoy the beach, swimming, canoeing, fishing, and some sunbathing! We also chose Emerald Lake so we could attend the Vermont Symphony Orchestra performance at The Hildene.

We arrived with the large canoe on the small Vibe and got prepped for camping...




We set up our fantastic camp and prepared for the nasty weather we were in for...





We made yummy food (camp tacos are the best!) and made good use of the park's picnic areas...






While the wet weather canceled out plans for swimming and sunbathing, we managed to canoe and fish quite a bit. Canoeing and fishing for The Mitch and I involves The Mitch fishing and me paddling him around while conducting photo shoots...

















We also missed out on The Hildene and had to see the VSO inside without our heady spread, wine, and cheese. But, the music was lovely and we had a fine time staying dry afterward at The Perfect Wife and grooving to the tunes of The Battenkills. They even forced us to stay longer by playing a few Phish tunes as we were leaving causing us to buy another round and chill a bit longer. Thanks fellas!




By the time the Fourth of July came around, we had been camping in the rain for four days. I had had it. The Girl Scout in me tore free and I used all skills I could remember to make the most intense fire ever. Then the hippie in me put on Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner from Woodstock in the Ipod cooler and as the final notes climaxed to the famous finish, I dumped all of our sparklers in the fire and cursed the rain and celebrated my freedom to be me. The Mitch claims he fell in love with me all over again at that moment. Hmmm...









Regardless of the rain, my affinity for Vermont State Parks grows and I'd also like to give a shout out to Rochelle Skinner, the Sales & Service Manager for the Vermont State Parks who was just named the Vermont Hospitality Council's Allied Member of the Year!!! Congratulations Rochelle - you have earned it!!! Offer your kudos by becoming a Fan of Vermont State Parks on Facebook!

1 comment:

The Mitch said...

Yes.........Jimi Hendrix + Huge Fire + Very Bright Fireworks in the Fire =
LOVE ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!